Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Impressions of Goldsmiths

I just got the internet working in my room at Goldsmiths...finally.  Last night was the first night I spent here.  The heat wasnt working in my room and I didnt have hot water, but I went to the office this morning and put in a maintance request for it-it looks like now I have hot water, and the heat works alittle better (its still alittle cold in here), but I think they'll come back to fix it.  The school itself is in a really cool area, I like it alot-there are beautiful views of the city, it reminds me a lot like Williamsburg in Brooklyn.  Today I also had my academic meeting, start classes on Monday.   I thought there would be more design majors studying here, but it looks like its just me and Mike, who I know from Arcadia.  The program itself seems really intense and kinda overwhelming.  I wasnt really expecting it to be this intense, but I think thats a good thing-i can use the challange.  It also seems a lot broader-to include all
 elements of design like fashion, textile, furniture, product, packaging as well as typography and the typical design stuff that I am used to doing.   I also found out today that Goldsmiths has a Track team, and from what it sounds like I may be able to participate in it-there is a club and sports meeting on Tuesday-so I think I am going to look into that possibly.  I did sign up for 3 trips, I got the Wales, and Manchester trips, and today I just signed up for the Amsterdam trip that Goldsmiths offers-the only thing I was concerned about is that I have classes everyday of the week, and I have one Friday morning-but I guess worst case scenario I can miss them if I must-I mean I am only going to be in Europe once-so I dont want to miss out on an opportunity because I have class.

Moneywise I feel like I been spending a lot but I think thats just because I spent close to 450 pounds for the trips (179, 160, 90)-which I always had plan on doing.  Overall I spent about 70 pounds, but that was because I spent about 20 pounds for my phone, 20 pounds for stuff for my room and the rest on Food (which we have been eating out a lot, but I think after this week it will be less).   I only got to see Kristina once, and havnt been much into central London, so I think tomorrow I want to try to meet up with her and try to see more of the city itself.  Im glad I finally got the internet to work-though im not used to not having wireless connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment